Wednesday, March 18, 2009

ICON Post on "Worship language"

Below is a post I submitted to ICON regarding the importance of Language in worship.


Dear All,
I find this to be an interesting thread, being a member of the "younger generation" that these posts refer to, I feel obliged to comment. So far I see two viewpoints expressed; the first being that we should embrace worship in the English language, and let Malayalam fade away, and the second being that Malayalam must be maintained because it's a part of our "tradition." I can't say I agree completely with either view.

In the case of the former, It's true that many of the 2nd generation members of our Church in America are not fluent in Malayalam. English services should be offered to better help them understand the Liturgy, and experience it on a deeper level. However, the church in America hasn't yet reached a point where a majority of it's members don't speak/read/write Malayalam. Services are necessary in both languages. I'm also greatly in favor of offering Malayalm classes to kids starting at a young age. Certain parishes in my region have implemented this concept with great success. Books like "The Living Sacrifice" should also be encouraged.

In the case of the second view, are we able to draw a distinction between culture and faith?
Ms.--- writes "The beauty of our tradition as "Orthodox" christians is that we keep the traditional worship.." If I had read that phrase by itself, I would be inclined to agree. In context, however, the assertion is a slippery slope at best. Malayalam, or any particular language for that matter, cannot be labelled a "Tradition" of the Orthodox Church. Our Tradition is the Holy and Divine Liturgy that has been entrusted to us by the Lord. The church accommodates the language of whatever culture she finds herself in. If our forebears had entertained such ideas about language being an integral part of the liturgy, we would still be worshiping in Syriac, not Malayalam. I am in no way trying to minimize the importance of knowing one's roots and learning about our heritage, but it shouldn't be warped into ethnocentrism. Another statement that somewhat irked me :"The new youngsters do not know the traditional aspects of our church." I am not entirely sure what "traditional aspects" means here, but I do know some 'youngsters' who would take great offense to this. All our seminarians were youngsters once, and I am convinced that we of the younger generation have a passion and thirst for Orthodoxy that's going to lead the church for years to come.

With all of this being said, I have a question to pose to ICON readers. Let us assume, for the sake of argument, that you live in an area that has no Malankara Orthodox parishes nearby. There are, however, both a Marthoma Parish, and a Coptic Orthodox parish within a reasonable distance. My question is, which would you attend, and why? I look forward to reading your replies.

No comments: